www.tavs.ca

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home About Us Club History

Club History

E-mail Print PDF

TAVS originated in September,1957 with a sign placed in Wain's Greenhouse encouraging customers to begin a Violet club. That year, a few growers met at the Eglington YMCA, which included Jean Hamilton who remained a member of TAVS until her passing on January 17, 2013.


As the room was too small, they found another location, in January 1958 at the Carlton St. United Church (across from Maple Leaf Gardens). The executive then consisted of Don Wain as President, and Jean Hamilton as Secretary-Treasurer. The membership fee at that time was $1.00. There were about 20 members.

With the Carlton St. Church location not being available on a regular basis, the club moved to the United Empire Loyalist Hall, on Prince Arthur Ave. They stayed there for the next five years at a cost of $5.00 per month rent.

In 1960, Don Wain found a larger room at the Glebe Road United Church and relocated the club there. The rent then was $10.00 per month. It was here that the Club started to hold November 'Violet Teas' and sold aprons to raise money for the Club treasury. The first judged show was held there on May 21, 1968.

In 1973, the annual judged show was moved to the Civic Garden Centre on Lawrence Ave. (now known as the Toronto Botanical Garden). TAVS continued to operate the club at the Glebe Road United Church until 2010. All club meetings and activities are now being held at the Toronto Botanical Garden.

If we have missed any other significant events, please contact us.